Iron Pentacarbonyl is an intermediate that has found utility in a variety of applications. IPC it has been used as a fuel antiknock agent, a photochemical additive, and an intermediate for many iron products.
The most important applications are:
- Catalyst: A wide variety of reactions are catalyzed for coal liquefaction, Fischer-Tropsch hydroformylation, olefin isomerization and water gas shift reactions.
- Precursor: A starting material for chemically pure iron, iron oxides, iron catalysts and thin iron films.
- Reagent: Reacts with air, alkali, amines, carbon tetrachloride, halogens, hydrogen, mercaptans, mercury salts and other salts.
- Desulfurization: of sulfur from coal and petroleum products.
- Waste Remediation: Halogen solvent waste remediation.